Thursday, June 30, 2022

Articles Worth Reading: Regrets of the Dying

Back in 2012, Bronnie Ware, an Australian hospice nurse, wrote the book "Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing."  According to Ware, the top five regrets these dying patients had were:

  1. "I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me."
  2. "I wish I hadn't worked so hard."
  3. "I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings."
  4. "I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends."
  5. "I wish that I had let myself be happier."

Mike Pegg, who writes over at The Positive Encourager, has this article which goes into a little more detail about Ware's book, along with some YouTube links of interviews of Ware herself.  

What's fascinating to me is that Ware is not the only person with these insights.  Julie McFadden, another hospice nurse, works in the state of California here in the United States, and has reported similar findings, according to this article from the Independent UK.  For me, this gives me pause and makes me think about how I need to live my life more mindfully and intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Personal Musings: Reunions and Death

Jeff Mara interviewed author and spiritual mystic Hans Wilhelm on his podcast , and Wilhelm had this to say: "If you have a wonderful p...