Sunday, July 3, 2022

Personal Musings: Reflecting on Humor From Comedian Steven Wright

One of my all-time favorite comedians is Steven Wright.  I love a lot of his jokes, but one of my favorites is this one: "I filled out an application that said, "In Case Of Emergency Notify". I wrote "Doctor"... What's my mother going to do?"  

In recent months, I've realized that there can be a lot of underlying wisdom in humor.  For those of us who may have lost someone we were highly dependent on, especially if it's a spouse/partner or parent, we can feel like nobody else can help us if we find ourselves in a difficult situation -- that our loved one was the one person who could help us out.  Yet Steven Wright's joke reminds me that sometimes, other people might be in a better situation to help us out if we're in a crisis of one sort or another.  This isn't to say that our transitioned loved ones weren't highly capable people -- it's just that we can take solace and comfort in the fact that there are other people who can help us out and lift us up when we are not doing well and at a low point in our lives.   Even something as simple as someone cracking a good joke can make the dark days a little brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Personal Musings: Reunions and Death

Jeff Mara interviewed author and spiritual mystic Hans Wilhelm on his podcast , and Wilhelm had this to say: "If you have a wonderful p...