Friday, August 4, 2023

Practices That Have Helped: Replacing Sorrow With Humor

A little over a month ago -- June 30, to be precise -- I was talking with my friend Kari via text messaging.  The conversation went like this:

Kari: "Hey, I just had a really crazy thing happen to me.  And I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do this little exercise when you're ready.  So if you are open to it I'll tell you about it."

Me: "Sure!  I can try it later this evening when my dad and I are back home.  Tell me about it!"

Kari: "Is there anywhere in the house or somewhere there in the area that makes you feel sad?"

Me: "Sometimes it's the guest bedroom on the first floor.  Our cat Milton and I would spend a lot of time together there."

....

Kari: "Ok, what are your favorite comedies to watch?  Movies or TV.  What's hilarious to you?"

I then gave Kari a list of my favorite funny TV shows and movies.

Kari: "Ok.  You need to go into the room and watch something that will make you laugh.  Be in that room and laugh.  Do it a couple different times.  And you'll start to feel happiness in that room...I'll look forward to hearing your experiences.  And do me a favor.  After you watch your movie or show, take a minute to stop and have a quiet moment to feel the vibe in the room.  Stop and feel and listen and take it all in."

 

In the weeks since, I've done exactly as Kari instructed me to do. I took my laptop into the room where Milton and I used to spend time together, and watched some funny YouTube videos.  And you know what?  I think there might be something to this technique.  The guest bedroom doesn't feel as sorrowful as it once did -- things feel a little lighter in there.  I saw a saying on the webpage of a former classmate of mine: "Change the narrative.  Laugh in the places you've cried."  Maybe you should give it a try, dear reader, and let me know if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words of Comfort: from the Spirituality Subreddit

I was browsing on the Spirituality subreddit on Reddit some months back.  The poster, who was grieving the loss of her mother from last year...